The Lancaster County court records of 1767 have John Newcomer listed as a gunsmith. In 1780, the tax records called Newcomer, “Old John Gunsmith”. He died in 1782. Later in 1793, his son was also listed in the tax records as a gunsmith in York County, Pennsylvania.
This Newcomer, early Lancaster fowler is patterned after his work from 1768 – 1775.
John Newcomer – Lancaster, Pennsylvania (1768-1775)
- .54 caliber, octagon to round,
- 46” smooth Burton barrel,
- Chambers lock; curly maple stock,
- Handmade wooden patch box, side plate and nose cap,
- Relief moulding on fore end,
- Relief carved beaver tails and shell surrounding tang,
- Engraving on lock face and hammer.